What to Do After an Auto Accident
- Call the police or 911, if needed.
- Do not make a statement regarding the accident except to local authorities or your company representative.
- Obtain the name, address, and email address of each driver, all passengers, and all witnesses.
- Obtain the name of the insurance company and policy number for each vehicle involved.
- Note the vehicle license number, cell or home phone numbers of the person involved in the accident, and any special weather conditions or circumstances.
- If you have a camera or a smart phone with a camera, take clear photographs of:
- The accident scene, including all cars involved
- Location identifiers such as cross streets or exit numbers
- The license plate(s) of vehicles involved
- All identification cards and insurance cards
- If your auto is insured with CIG, call the CIG Claim Service Center at